Saturday 3 September 2011

This Train Terminates at Cockfosters

Yes, we have all had a giggle at Cockfosters. But it probably means chief forester (if you believe Wikipedia) so doesn't that make you feel immature? Not me. However, no more knob gags for now. Cockfosters is where I went for Non League Day.

I wanted to go somewhere I hadn't been before and the proximity of Cockfosters' Chalk Lane ground to the Tube station made them an attractive option. Their opponents, Redbridge, are reasonably local to me and I hadn't seen them yet this season so off I headed into the the cauldron of the late summer Central line and wended my way up the surprisingly slow Picadilly line. Cockfosters isn't that far away surely.

Arriving at 5 to 3 didn't give me any time to get to know Cockfosters but the road up to the ground is lovely. The ground itself is bordered by 2 cricket grounds giving it a leafy idyll kind of a feel. I handed my money over roughly 4.7 seconds before kick off.

Having just missed out on a programme I have no idea who did what but for a step 6 side Cockfosters played some decent football. They went ahead around the half hour mark having undone Redbridge's offside trap. However as the half wore on Redbridge's physical approach and seemingly better fitness levels began to tell. Just before half time they drew level with a lovely free free kick. It must be the luck of non league day but I managed to capture the moment as well:


Redbridge won it near the end with a disputed penalty. 

Something about the scorer reeling away in celebration...
A match that at points, including half time, had threatened to boil over in the end fizzled out with Redbridge content to play out time in the corners and Cockfosters unable to do anything about it. Redbridge now have a tie away to Wingate & Finchley in the next round and I may well trot along to that one although I believe that W&F isn't quite so close to a Tube station.

From a Non League Day perspective I wasn't successful in persuading anyone to come with me (oh, the shame). It wasn't obvious that Cockfosters had made specific efforts for the day although the attendance was better than average. It looked a little better than the announced 78 though it's always difficult to know who to include at this level. 

Did I have a good time? Well, I'm biased. It was non league footy so I enjoyed it. It seems to be a friendly club. The beer was nice and the burgers smelled good. For a basic ground it felt quite atmospheric. The sounds of cricket filtering through helped in this regard. Unfortunately it's not me that needs convincing. Hopefully some of the many people who went to non league games for the first time today will come back. It will be interesting to see what attendances are like over the next few weeks.

Best non league moment? Noticing Redbridge's shirt sponsor: Total Site! 

No comments:

Post a Comment