Saturday 29 January 2011

Germane Pennant?

The mid season demise of Leyton FC set me to thinking. Since I caught the non league bug again this season I have been trying to get to places I haven't been before. I hadn't seen a game at Leyton's ground since the club that played there was known as Leyton-Wingate. I had been meaning to get to see Leyton but each weekend found a game I would rather be at. Now I'll have to see who ends up playing at the Hare & Hounds next season. So in the meantime I thought I'd better get to some games while some of the other local teams are still around. It seemed apt that I should scamper along to a Waltham Forest match quick smart. Waltham Forest is the amalgam of non league teams left in that borough after the juggernaut that eventually became Dagenham & Redbridge left town. It has always irked me that although half the teams that make up that merger of merger were from Waltham Forest that was ignored in the name. So it is left to Waltham Forest to fly the flag. Although I had seen Leyton-Wingate in the past on a number of occasions and had managed to see Walthamstow Pennant a couple of times I hadn't seen this incarnation of the club before. Logically enough they currently play in the borough Redbridge where the share the not much loved (as far as I can tell) Cricklefield Stadium.


I don't mind it though. It obviously wasn't designed for football and the sides of the stand mean that the view isn't great but I think it's got character and for an athletics stadium you don't feel that far away from the action (on the sides at least). It's got a great little terrace at one end. It is just a crying shame that it's so far away from the goal:


On the pitch the visitors were Grays Athletic; who are a bit of a giant at this level. Although they're not living up to that billing so far this season. The fact that there a good number of away fans lent this game a bit of atmosphere. Something that was sorely lacking for my only other visit here; earlier this season for Ilford against Waltham Abbey. It wasn't a great spectacle, Waltham Forest are down at the bottom, though recently rejuvenated by a new manager and an injection of new players. They played like a team still getting to know each other. Grays looked like a half decent side - playing badly. And so it went. Waltham Forest ran out of steam and a goal in each half helped Grays to huff and puff to the 3 points. The fact that an ex Waltham Forest player named Dean Pennant got the the second that killed the game off was apt for more than one reason.


The bit I most enjoyed about the night was wondering what was going through the Grays manager's head. To the right hand side of the extravagantly coiffed silver fox of a lino was one Julian Dicks. The rollercoaster semi  between Birmingham & West Ham was on the telly and indeed you could see the glow of  the coverage from the bar. Was he at all distracted do you think? Also, check out that technical area!

Hopefully Waltham Forest will be back at their Wadham Lodge ground in Walthamstow soon. Next up on my to do before they go list is Clapton. I went once many moons ago for a pre-season friendly against the O's. The only thing I remember about it was John Gorman helping out as left back. Now languishing at the bottom of the Essex Senior league I fancy a return visit to E7. I also think this if things at Orient go tits up in the way that many fans suspect then rather than an AFC Orient type club being it would be nice if Orient fans threw in their lot with Clapton. After all there is another club who used to have Clapton in their name and don't play in Clapton. It would have a certain symmetry to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment