Sunday 13 February 2011

Dunston Checks In (or The Fifth Round Proper of the FA Vase)

It would be tempting to fill this with a bunch of tortuous and tenuous airport related puns. I'll try not to though. As soon as I saw the draw for the 5th round of the Vase I knew where I wanted to be. My only other game in the Vase this year saw Burnham Ramblers get tonked at St Neots. I have always wanted to go to Stansted and this seemed the perfect opportunity. A clash of cultures, accents and league reputations was all secondary to the prize of the quarter finals of the Vase. Stansted vs Dunston UTS

I arrived wildly early having built in far too much time for the journey and the bits and bobs I had to do on the way. I was still just beaten there by the Dunston supporters coach. Seeing as Stansted's last home game drew less than 30 paying spectators the concept of a supporters coach is slightly out of the ordinary. It was just nice to see a home club so pleased to see the away supporters. And not just because of the amount of beer they looked likely to buy.



Once I had availed myself of the bar facilities and verandah barbecue I made my way into the ground for the same itself. Unfortunately it was a bit of a damp squib. After an opening 20 minutes where Stansted looked up for it and threatened on a handful of occasions Dunston worked their way back into it. A howler of a mix up between the home keeper and defenders led to a lobbed goal from right out on the touchline. This a caused an outbreak of joy in Geordie support but ended the game as a contest. For a team that look likely to win their league if things go to plan Stansted unfortunately seemed to be lacking ideas going forward and especially lacked composure bringing the ball out of defence. Early in the second half they didn't make anything of a good free kick opportunity and the ball went straight back up the other end and capitalised on another defensive misunderstanding to go two up.

A deserved win for Dunston in the end as Stansted never really got into gear. While I don't think there was a huge amount between the sides in terms of talent there was a differential in nous. Dunston were the better team in the true sense of the term. Always vocal and encouraging each other while Stansted couldn't be much heard. It's unlikely I'll see Dunston again this season unless they make the final but I'd be happy in their end if they do.

As for Stansted I expect I will see them again  and hopefully for them this will only prove a hiccup in their season although it must be frustrating knowing that they won't be able to go up even if they do win the league for the 2nd year in a row. I have read a lot of criticism of their ground today and although it is indisputably basis I think it does have character. Whether they can do anything to improve the ground grading is debatable as they share (literally) with the local cricket club and the local council are apparently not co-operative. I enjoyed my day out and will be back at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment